Sunday, May 18, 2008

BOB BANTER'S REMINISCING

Brothers of a Different God..! PDF Print E-mail
User Rating: / 1
PoorBest
Just over a year ago as two of the richest brothers in India fought like wild cats with every one of us having a ringside view, I wondered what kind of message was being sent to the youth in our country, and to those same youngsters and others so sadly misled do I have a story:


Once upon a time, two brothers, one a bachelor, the other married, owned a farm whose fertile soil yielded an abundance of grain. Half the grain went to one brother and half to the other.



All went well at first!


‘Aha!’ I hear you say, ‘here comes greed…’


All went well at first. Then every now and then the married brother began to wake with a start from his sleep at night and think: “This isn’t fair. My brother isn’t married and he gets half the produce of the farm. Here I am with a wife and five kids, so I have all the security I need for my old age. But who will care for my poor brother when he gets old?”


“He needs to save much more for his future than he does at present, so his need is obviously greater than mine”


With that he got out of his bed and began stealing over to his brother’s place and started pouring a sackful of grain into his brother’s granary.


The bachelor brother started getting thoughts too.


Every once in a while he would also wake up from his sleep and say to himself: “This simply isn’t fair. My brother has a wife and five kids and he gets half the produce of the land. I have no one except myself to support, so it is right that my poor brother whose need is obviously greater than mine, should receive more than I do!”


This brother also started getting out of bed and started pouring a sackful of grain into his brother’s granary.


This went on for years.


One day they bumped into each other as they were journeying to the other’s granary with the sack of grain on their backs!


Many years later the story leaked out, so when the villagers built a temple they chose the same spot the two brothers met, for they could think of no other spot holier than that one!


What a lovely story isn’t it?


That's the unselfish love we need to nurture with our siblings, not the greed that our two so called successful businessmen brothers are showing so unashamedly to the world.
I daresay, no temple will ever be built in their memory, being brothers of a different god; money..!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home